The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) exam is a significant milestone for students seeking admission to universities in Nigeria. Success in this standardized test can open doors to a world of educational opportunities. In this guide series, we will explore the essential requirements for students to pass the JAMB Use of English exam successfully.
The exam is designed to test how effectively you are in communicating both written and spoken English and also how you sound you gasp linguistic basis before entering into tertiary institution.
The first step to excel in the JAMB exam is to familiarize yourself with the syllabus. The JAMB syllabus outlines the topics and subtopics for each subject. It’s your roadmap for what to study. Make sure to obtain the latest version of the syllabus, as it is periodically updated.
The structure of Use of English exam
SECTION A: Comprehension/Summary
This section aims to assess your reading comprehension and summarization skills. It consists of comprehension passages and a cloze passage.
- Practice reading a variety of materials, such as novels, newspapers, and academic articles. This will help you become comfortable with different writing styles and subject matters.
- Develop the habit of summarizing what you read. This can include identifying the main points, implied meanings, and the writer’s opinion and attitude toward the subject matter.
- Pay attention to the grammatical functions of words, phrases, and clauses used in the passages. This will help you understand how language is employed to convey meaning.
- Improve your ability to deduce or infer information from the text. Understand the mood and tone of the author, as well as their stance on the topic.
Example Novels for Practice
- “The Potter’s Wheel” by Chukwuemeka Ike
- “The Successors” by Jerry Agada
Please note that the recommended novels may change from year to year. It’s essential to stay updated with the latest reading materials.
While Reading a Passage, Pay Attention to:
- Complete understanding of the whole or part of each passage.
- Understanding of words, phrases, clauses, sentences, figures of speech, and idiomatic expressions used in the passages.
- Coherence and logical reasoning, including deductions and inferences.
- Synthesizing ideas from the passages.
- Identifying tenses used in the passage and understanding their implications.
SECTION B: Lexis, Structure, and Oral Forms
This section is divided into two parts: Lexis and Structure, and Oral English.
1. Lexis and Structure:
(a) Sentence Interpretation (10 questions, 2 marks each): Practice interpreting the meaning of sentences accurately. Pay attention to the context in which words and phrases are used.
(b) Antonyms (15 questions, 1 mark each): Improve your vocabulary by learning words and their opposites. Practice identifying antonyms in context.
(c) Synonyms (15 questions, 1 mark each): Expand your vocabulary by learning synonyms for common words. Practice identifying synonyms in context.
(d) Sentence Completion (20 questions, 1 mark each): Work on your sentence completion skills by filling in the gaps with appropriate words or phrases that maintain the context and meaning of the sentence.
2. Oral English:
The Oral English section may include questions related to pronunciation, intonation, and spoken English. Improve your spoken English skills by engaging in conversations, listening to English speakers, and practicing pronunciation and intonation.
Success in the JAMB Use of English exam requires consistent practice, broad reading, and a solid understanding of the English language. Create a study schedule, work on your weaknesses, and stay updated with the latest recommended reading materials. With dedication and effort, you can excel in this section of the JAMB exam.
Create a Study Schedule
Time management is key. Develop a study schedule that allocates sufficient time for each subject. Dedicate more time to areas where you feel less confident. A well-structured study plan will help you stay organized and focused.
Gather Study Materials
Gather relevant study materials, including textbooks, past questions, and online resources. There are many reputable JAMB preparation materials available, so choose those that align with the syllabus and your learning style.
Practice with Past Questions
One of the most effective ways to prepare is by practicing with past JAMB questions. This gives you a sense of the exam’s format and helps you identify common question patterns. Try to solve as many past questions as possible.
Seek Guidance and Support
Don’t hesitate to seek guidance from teachers, mentors, or tutors if you face challenges with specific topics. Joining a study group can also provide motivation and support.
Improve Time Management
The JAMB exam has a time limit for each subject. Develop time management skills to ensure you can answer all questions within the allocated time. Practice with timed mock exams to refine your pace.
Keep yourself updated on any changes to the JAMB exam format or rules. JAMB’s official website is a reliable source of information.
Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
A balanced diet, regular exercise, and adequate sleep contribute to better cognitive performance. Don’t neglect your physical and mental health during your preparations.
Take Mock Exams
Taking mock exams helps you assess your progress and identify areas that need improvement. Many reputable websites offer mock JAMB tests for practice.
Remain Calm and Confident
Exam day can be nerve-wracking, but it’s crucial to stay calm and confident. Remember your preparation and the effort you’ve put in.
Acing the JAMB exam requires dedication, consistent effort, and a well-structured study plan. By following these guidelines, you can significantly increase your chances of success. Always remember that success is a journey, not a destination. Best of luck in your JAMB exam, and may your educational dreams come true.
- How to Acquire Viable Users for Your Online Business
- Sales Copywriting: How to Tap into Your Customers’ Minds
- Ultimate Guide to SEO Copywriting: Tips and Best Practices
- A Complete Guide for Nigerian Students to Study in the UK
- A Sure way to Success Distributing Products in Nigeria
- Best Ideas to Start with Little Money in Nigeria 2023
- Becoming a Data Analyst in Nigeria Booming Tech World
You can also join us on our google group at ac*******@go**********.com for academic conversions.